Lovely lunch – lovely day – garbanzo bean burger topped with sautéed sweet onions and mushrooms along with kale chips – YUMMY!
Vegan Garbanzo Bean Burger
2 cups cooked dry garbanzo beans
1/3 cup spelt flour
1/3 chopped sweet onions
6 tablespoons aquafaba (liquid from canned or cooked dry garbanzo beans) divided
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (I use pink Himalayan).
1 tablespoon oil (I use grapeseed oil).
- Cook dry garbanzo beans in a slow cooker on low in 6 cups of water for 6 hours. Reserve liquid.
- Scoop 2 cups of the beans into a food processor.
- Add basil, sea salt, onions and 3 tablespoons aquafaba.
- Add flour and 3 more tablespoons aquafaba.
- Pulse until blended but not pulverized. You should still see a few pieces of the beans.
- Add oil to the pan and form patties.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.
P.S. Aquafaba is the liquid you get from canned or cooked dry garbanzo beans. I call it “liquid gold,” because it serves as an egg replacement in many sweet and savory recipes. Here’s a link to other yummy-looking recipes using aquafaba. Oh, and I apologize for the lack of photos. I wasn’t planning to post today.